Monday, February 23, 2009

Golf is a SPORT! Why not treat it as such?


I was watching the Golf Channel today as usual and watched a Tiger Woods golf clinic.
And has he was showing people how to properly address the ball, he made a motion that was almost
EXACTLY the kind of motion that I was taught in baseball. At that exact moment, he said "Get into an athletic stance..."

And then he said something that I have been saying for YEARS and I just went "YES!"

Tiger said "Golf is a sport. It's an athletic thing..."

And that is what made Tiger DIFFERENT from everyone else when he arrived on the scene. Tiger approached Golf as a sport and not as an "old man's game" or (shudder) and "activity".

When you play a SPORT--you need to make your body act in an athletic manner. If you are overweight or out of shape, as MUCH as you love golf, do you actually PLAY golf or do you STRUGGLE to play golf? Why not get the weight off, get your back in shape, make your shoulders strong, give your poor legs and hips a break---and become more athletic?

You know I played with someone a few months ago and he was a tremendous golfer. I think he shot something like 74 or 76 or something...I mean he smoked me---but he said something during the round that struck me. He said, "God it's a beautiful day!"
Why did that strike me? Because it was 95 degrees outside and muggy as heck....but I was enjoying myself as well. Sure we were sweating a bit, but we weren't exhausted. We were both in pretty good shape and the SPORT that we were playing didn't wear us out....

When we got to the clubhouse, you should have seen all the people in there sweaty and drenched and puffing and COMPLANING about the weather and the course and THEIR GAME. Well of course you are going to complain. I mean how can you have fun at something that wears you out...but every single one of the complainers and the moaners and the grumpy people were all overweight, or out of shape or unhealthy--everyone of them. All of the people enjoying an after round beverage on the deck, smiling and happy were the more fit crowd.

Did you ever wonder why golf shirts are form fitting? Because golf is a SPORT and they are made for ATHLETES!
C'mon now! Get some weight off---get the life back into those muscles and get loose---You'll look better--you'll feel better--you'll PLAY better and you will complain ALOT less!

See ya!

Kit