Monday, March 9, 2009

Tired of the Doom and Gloom


It is Monday morning and I am reading the depressing news (again) about the economy and getting more and more frustrated to the mainstream media and it's role in this 'self-fulfilling prophecy" about the economy.


Let me just tell you that, as a person that has his OWN business and runs one for someone else, that people are still spending money. PEOPLE ARE STILL SPENDING MONEY---


I keep seeing the stocks drop and the banks get deeper and deeper into trouble and I firmly believe that it's happening because economists are TELLING us that it's happening.


Look, I don't know that much about economics apart from how they affect my business--but if the economy is SO bad, why did I have to stand in line at Golf Galaxy today while no less than 5 people in front of me were buying BRAND NEW drivers? If the economy is SO BAD, why was the golf course FULL on Saturday IN THE RAIN? If the economy is so bad, my is the day spa next door to my gym FULL of women at 11:00am on a MONDAY?


People are still spending money on things that make them feel happy--they just aren't wasting it. But in my opinion, the economists on TV want to be right SO BADLY that they are literally preaching death and mayhem in an effort to make death and mayhem HAPPEN!


SO people read, hear and see this stuff--and they use it as an excuse not to live their lives...and it's frustrating--because I see people out everyday TRYING to live their lives and (even though it's not intentional) pumping money back into the economy. But the banks and the rest of the "money changers" are hoarding it and telling us that we're all going to hell....


GREAT HUH?


OR....


Is it just that golf is recession proof? Could it be that golfers just love their sport so much that they are willing to spend the money to feed the beast? Has anyone else read the Callaway Earnings report for 2008? http://seekingalpha.com/article/88247-callaway-golf-company-q2-2008-earnings-call-transcript


Hmmmm---


What are your thoughts? Are golfers immune? Do we just not care? Do we have more money than everyone else? Are you as confused as I am about the state of things?


Well, I am not educated enough in the world of high finance to comment further--though I would like to say that as Americans, we need to live with more courage and less trepidation---We didn't become the greatest country on the planet by hoarding dollar bills in our cigar boxes under our beds---we always pull through this crap---


So buy that new driver---and yes, HIRE that new trainer or swing coach--buy lessons for your kids and get those new Footjoys---after all, if economic Armageddon does hit--it's not like they can lock the doors on the golf courses---we can just hop the fences and keep the game alive, right?